Monday, January 18, 2010

My Favorite Steak!



This is my favorite way to eat a steak...perfectly pan-fried and topped with blue cheese butter!  I do love a great grilled steak, but my poor husband just can't perfect the grilled steak like my Dad and therefore I just take matters into my own hands.  It keeps us both happy as I get the exact done-ness I am looking for and he doesn't get compared to my Dad.  Sorry, honey, someday you'll get it right...

I used to be so intimidated by a steak.  Not sure why exactly, but probably had something to do with the fact that I don't like my meat even the slightest bit over done.  I am a medium rare girl all the way.  Even a little more on the rare side than the medium.  Turns out it is super simple, though, and you hardly need any ingredients at all for the steak itself!  If you are a purist, this is all you'll need:
























The worcestershire is my secret ingredient!

But if you are like me, and LOVE blue cheese and butter(who doesn't love butter?), you'll also need these:
























Since the steak takes hardly any time to cook and should have your full attention so you don't overcook, I like to make the blue cheese butter first!



















No need to measure the blue cheese, use whatever amount looks good to you! 



















Throw in some chives.  Not completely necessary, but I love chives and they look pretty!



















Form butter into a log on a sheet of wax paper:



















Then roll up the wax paper around it and refrigerate until ready to use!  I only used about a third of this for the steak I made.  You can store the rest in your fridge for probably about 2 weeks.  It is GREAT on burgers!

Now, onto the steak!



















I used a rib-eye for this, but a New York steak would also work perfectly!  Put 2-3 drops of worcestershire sauce on one side of the steak, brush it on evenly, and then generously salt and pepper.  Repeat for the other side.



















Melt a couple of tablespoons of butter in a heavy bottomed sauce pan or cast iron skillet over medium high heat.

I forgot to take pictures while the steak was actually cooking, but here are a couple shots of the finished product.



















This is a lot of blue cheese butter for one steak, but we were splitting it and did I mention that I LOVE blue cheese??



















Ready to eat...and boy did I!  I couldn't even wait a minute longer to take a picture once the blue cheese butter had melted and oozed all over the steak!  But trust me, it did, and it was so, so, so good!!

Oh, and ladies, if your man loves a good steak and potatoes meal I think this one is Valentine's Day worthy!  I served it with buttermilk mashed potatoes and I will post the roasted asparagus with parmesan recipe another time. 

Enjoy!

Rib Eye Steak with Blue Cheese Butter

For the steak:
1-2 rib eye steaks, about a pound each and 1-1/2 inches thick.
2 TBSP butter
Worcestershire sauce
Kosher salt and pepper

For the Blue Cheese Butter:
1 stick butter, softened
about 1/3 cup blue cheese crumbles(less or more to taste)
fresh chives, a couple tablespoons, chopped

To make the butter, mix all ingredients with a large butter knife or spoon.  Form into a log on a sheet of wax paper and then roll up.  Store in refrigerator until ready to use.

To make the steak:

Brush 2-3 drops of worcestershire sauce on one side of the steak and then generously sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Repeat for other side.
Melt about 2 TBSP of butter in an already hot sauce-pan or cast iron skillet.  Make sure the heat is turned up half way between medium and high.  Once the butter has completely melted, place steak in the middle of the pan and let cook for about 3 1/2-4 minutes per side for medium rare.  Try to only flip once.  If your steak is thinner or thicker, adjust time accordingly.  Once both sides have boon cooked, place on a cutting board, tent with foil, and let rest for 4-5 minutes.  You can put the blue cheese butter on at this time, depending on how melt-y you like it!  If sharing the steak like we did, just slice the steak once it has rested, top with blue cheese butter, and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment